Monday, February 18, 2013

A Little Late to the Party

I've decided to join in the Sewing Room Clean Up Along at Sewing by Moonlight.  It sounds like the motivation that I need to get my room in order (finally!).  Besides, for Lent I decided to give up at least 20 minutes of my time to being a better housewife--cleaning, cooking, etc., so this fits right in.

If unorganization, clutter, and chaos make you shudder, you might want to stop reading now!

I only ask that you please do not judge me by the state of my "before" room.  This is the room where you put something that has no where else to go.  And this room has already had a bit of renovating recently.  I moved the tv from the folding table to the new bookshelves when my old bookcase broke.


To your left as you walk into the room is a night stand that I've had ever since I was a kid and even though I'm not the sentimental type, I can't seem to get rid of it.  It is currently the catch all for the room.  The random lamp was in Squeak's room but his fascination with cords meant it had to go.  Speaking of cords...wasn't it nice of my husband to hook up the tv and then leave all of the cords in the middle of the floor?
In the northeast corner (kinda sounds like a boxing match doesn't it?) is another piece that I've had for a long time.  My mother picked up this armoire from a yard sale about 8 years ago and painted it black.  The top is another place for clutter to accumulate.  It does a good job of holding up my batting though :)
 
The inside of it houses my holiday and non quilt shop novelty fabrics, cross stitch miscellaneous, and hollowed out books that need to be made into clutches (someday...).  The drawers are overflowing with craft paint, art supplies, sheets of felt, orphaned blocks, craft show hardware, patterns and yarn.

I didn't get a close up of the cutting table.  It is absolutely covered in UFOs and tins containing random bits and pieces.  Underneath in a tub are all of my interfacing, fillers, and scraps of batting.  And my poor sewing cabinet is covered in fabrics.  Beside it, almost out of the picture, is my overflowing scrap bin.


The little cubby in the corner holds all of my larger pieces of fabric, books, and non-cotton fabrics. as well as a bunch of random stuff on top.  The little storage bins to the right are all of my BOMs and Sew/Quilt Alongs.  They are neatly labeled and right where they should be :)


My fabric shelf in the background and a huge pile of scraps waiting to be sorted in the foreground.


 And the closet.  It's actually not in too bad of shape.  I did not manage to get a picture of my main sewing table with my tabletop ironing board on it.  Let's just say it fits into the room just perfectly.

All of the above photos were taken early Sunday morning and I have made quite a bit of headway since then.  And of course I've started a list of projects that I could make for this room :)  This afternoon I will be hanging shelves and decor that I've had for months and just haven't gotten around to putting up.  I have until the 25th to get everything in order.

Oh, and I did manage to get a bit of sewing done this weekend but I'll save it for WIP Wednesday.  Hope to see ya then!

Linking up to Let's Get Acquainted  and Sewing by Moonlight.



6 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, the frightening before photos. I love your giant roll of batting! And your fabric shelf where you can see all your pretties!

    Last night, I had a goal of finding my cutting table under the piles. I sat and stared at it for awhile, and then finally, set a timer for 10 minutes and got to work. When it went off, I set it for another 10 minutes, and at the end of round 2: there was the cutting surface! Hooray for progress, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you... getting started is the hardest part! I'm breaking mine down into segments like Em (except that I can't get anything done in 10 min- lol!). Moving stuff out that doesn't belong first, then grouping like stuff together, piles of fabric for sorting/folding and last will be putting everything in it's place! Cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting started is so hard esp if you have a little one or pet helpers there. This was a big ole tease of a blog I was hoping for some after pictures -- can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Award, check out my blog for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a lot of fabric and your sewing space is great. It is going to look fabulous when you are done. Looking forward to the after pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing your After pictures. Looks like you have some very good organizing tools already in place.

    ReplyDelete